Vodka sauce with penne pasta is such a classic, comforting meal. Lisa Lipari created this spin on the original uses coconut milk and JOY extra virgin olive oil to keep all the warm, creamy flavors of this dish dairy-free!
- 8 oz pasta of choice; I used chickpea
- 1 13.5oz can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp JOY extra virgin olive oil; plus additional for drizzling
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 1 shallot
- Sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, & red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil; for garnish
- Cook pasta in salted water, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan on the stove top, warm 2 tbsp JOY. Add finely sliced shallot and sauté on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and a pinch of red pepper, and sauté an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add: marinara sauce, vodka, and sea salt & pepper to taste. Raise heat to medium/high until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Stir, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover & allow to cook on low for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: alcohol scent should be mostly dissolved before proceeding to the next step.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to a blender. Add coconut milk to tomato mixture & blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer back to the pan and heat through.
- While heating, taste and add additional sea salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss pasta with sauce. Serve with a drizzle of JOY, fresh basil, & black pepper!
This vodka sauce would be delicious with a loaf of toasty bread to dip in it. It can be served as a main dish all on its own or with roasted chicken or another protein on top! It is best enjoyed immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For more inspiration, check us out on instagram @yourolivoamigo!