This marinated zucchini with hazelnuts & ricotta grilled flatbread recipe is perfect served as an appetizer or combined with a salad for a satisfying vegetarian meal! The thin soft, warm crust is the perfect counterpoint to the soft, cream, lemony ricotta cheese and the succulent, smoky marinated zucchini. Mint goes hand-in-hand with grilled veggies, and it’s the perfect flourish to make these flatbreads truly special.
- ½ Cup Whole Hazelnuts
- 3 Medium Summer Squash or Zucchini, cut into ¼” thick coins
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp Olivo Amigo Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Small Bunch Mint, divided
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss hazelnuts with 1 tablespoon Olivo Amigo Olive Oil on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown; about 15 minutes. Let cool; crush into large pieces using the bottom of a drinking glass.
- While the hazelnuts are toasting, toss the squash and salt in a colander and set over a bowl. Let sit for 10 min, then pat the squash dry.
- Preheat a grill (alternatively, keep your oven on after toasting the hazelnuts) over high heat.
- Rub mint leaves with fingers to release fragrance. Mix in a large bowl with garlic, vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, and 2 Tbsp olive oil; set to side.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olivo Amigo olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers. Arrange squash in the skillet until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and continue to cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
- Toss the squash in the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Remove mint and discard.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon zest, ricotta, and remaining Olivo Amigo Olive Oil.
- To your flat bread, layer the marinated zucchini in your desired pattern (we recommend an overlapping pattern!) Place on the grill over high heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the flatbread from the grill. Top with dollops of the ricotta mixture and squeeze lemon juice over top. Garnish with fresh mint and hazelnuts.
- Drizzle with Olive Amigo Olive Oil and sprinkle with salt.
These flatbreads are a perfect appetizer or first course meal, but they also make a truly special light lunch or vegetarian dinner, paired with a nice salad and some sweet summer fruit. Enjoy!